Start up Visa in Tokyo

Foreign nationals wishing to start up business in Japan need to obtain a “business manager” visa. To receive this status of residence, in addition to opening an office, the applicant must employ at least two people full-time, or invest at least 5 million yen in Japan. This presents a high hurdle to prospective foreign entrepreneurs.

In this program to increase foreign entrepreneurs, applicants can receive status of residence (business manager) for half a year even if these conditions are not met, if business plans and other necessary information are submitted to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and the Tokyo Metropolitan Government confirms that the applicant has prospects for fulfilling the conditions within that half year.

From Tokyo metropolitan government, Invest Tokyo

Documents to be submitted *Prepare the forms in Japanese.

1Application for confirmation of business startup activities  ※Japanese only

2Business Plan  ※Japanese only

3Applicant’s resume ※Japanese only 

4Copy of applicant’s passport (section with photo, name, and signature)

5「Document that can clarify where the applicant will be residing for 6 months after coming to Japan (e.g. copy of lease contract, copy of application for lease)

6Other necessary documents (e.g. copy of bank book, documents that show bank balance)

 Persons that may submit application documents

 1 Applicant

2 An attorney or Gyoseisyoshi Lawyers. If the applicant is located in a foreign country, this shall
be a person (or staff member, in the case of a corporation) that has been entrusted by the
applicant with the establishment of a business entity in Japan.


1 Confirmation of the application

  • After TMG receives the submitted application documents, a TMG official will conduct an interview with the applicant.
  • Based on the application documents and interview, TMG will make assessments from the perspective of the applicant’s possibility of attaining the regular “business manager” visa status after the 6-month preparatory period and make a judgement.

2 Issuance of certificate/notification of confirmation of business startup activities

  • ☆ If the necessary conditions were met and the business startup activities were approved: “Certificate of Confirmation of Business Startup Activities”
  • ☆ If the business startup activities were not approved: “Notification of the Results of Confirmation of Business Startup Activities”

3 Application to the Tokyo Immigration Services Agency for Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residency (Business Manager)

  • Those who have received the Certificate of Confirmation of Business Startup Activities must apply to the Tokyo Immigration Services Agency for the Certificate of Eligibility for Status of Residence (Business Manager) Those who wish to change the residence status from ”Student” must apply for the Change of Status of Residence.

4 After receiving “Business Manager “status”

  1. ・Confirmation of the progress of startup activities by the TMG will be conducted three times during the six month period of stay (once every two months). In at least one of the three times, the person will be subject to an interview on the progress of startup activities at his/her office or residence.
    • For confirmation, the person may be requested to submit documents clarifying the situation, such as office lease contracts, staff employment contracts, and bank books. If satisfactory progress is not being made, the person may be prompted to leave the country.

5 Extent “Business Manager “status” at the Tokyo Immigration Bureau

Service fees


KK Company set up 300,000~

For applications outside of Tokyo, daily allowance and transportation expenses will be charged separately.
Actual costs such as registration copy acquisition fee or transportation fee to the Immigration Bureau etc. are charged separately.
If you set up a company with two or more people, an additional fee of 11,000 yen will be charged per person.

Translate »